January is the month of resolutions. It is that time of the year when people again want to make a brand new start.
In my opinion, it’s never too late to start.
You must have heard of a famous saying ‘Morning is when you wake up’ (Jab jaaogo tab savera).
New Year’s Resolution is a perfect chance for people who have been sluggish or have failed to make changes they said they would bring from the very next day i.e. tomorrow.
New Year Resolution Meaning
“Resolution is a promise made by self to change, alter a habit or a trait for personal growth. Resolutions are made in the New Year to make a fresh start of the New Year.”
New Year Resolution is not just about what we wish for ourselves in the New Year but also about how to take action towards making our dreams become reality.
If you wish to change your life for the better, you will get lots of New Year Resolution Ideas here. I have tried to list them for you. Feel free to choose one or many and get going!
New Year Resolution Ideas You Should Consider
In this article, I’m going to give you a bunch of ideas for New Year’s resolutions you should seriously consider making. These will make your life better and more enjoyable now and for years to come.
#1 Love Yourself
Love yourself and make it your topmost New Year Resolution for the coming year. Loving yourself is essential and at the same time quite a challenge. Don’t compare yourself to others as everyone is on a different journey; also, appreciate everyone.
I’m still learning to love the parts of me that no one claps for.― Rudy Francisco
Self-love is an extremely important life skill to master. Know that you are worthy of love and deserving of love. Not learning how to love yourself will prevent us from having the energy to learn how to love others.
Have an attitude of gratitude and acknowledge all little things around you e.g. the sunrise, the chirping of the birds, the stars, a walk around the park, small talk, big discussions, smiles, care, love, etc
Spend some time alone and pamper yourself. Don’t crib about the past instead concentrate on the future. You may read books like
- Radical Self Love by Gara Darling – link
- Madly in Love with me by Christine Arylo – link
- How to Love Yourself by Meggan Watterson and Ladro Rinzler – link
#2 Stay Healthy and Eat Healthy
“Stay Healthy and Eat Healthily” is the New Year Resolution that is on my topmost list. One area where we usually go off the track is our health and fitness. It’s hard to follow strict schedules, and we get lazy to make that extra effort.
Make it a habit to eat a bowl of salad every day. Eating a variety of lentils will help us to maintain the protein balance and greens will provide essential antioxidants. You will enjoy the healthy glow on your face.
Sometimes, water is the answer to all the problems. Drinking 3-4 liters of water in a day will not only make your skin glow but also keep you away from various diseases and infections. Every morning before you start your daily routine, drink one to four glasses of Lukewarm Water on an empty stomach.
Follow a regular workout routine comprising any form of exercise- Aerobics, Cardio, Cycling, or Yoga, etc. You can go for a 20 minutes morning or evening walk if you don’t have time for a workout. The other option is to try out every possible dance move and play your favorite playlist at home.
Even 15-20 minutes of dance would be a good form of exercise.
#3 Stay Positive and Wear a Smile
Practice the art of positivity by believing in yourself. Train your mind to remember your dreams and think about achieving them daily.
Practice your mind saying YES in any situation. Yes means possibility, opportunity, and hope.
Stop finding the faults of others and learn to accept your weaknesses. A person who knows his/her weakness and has the power to overcome them will surely grow.
Stay with a bunch of positive people and indulge in activities that make you happy. It can be eating your favorite food, spending time with family members, calling your closest friend, going out for a walk or watching your favorite movie, etc
Always wear a smile. A smile releases positive hormones in your mind which helps to bring out the best in you.
Watch motivational videos or narrate motivational dialogues to yourself and the people around you. Motivational videos will help you to build a healthy and happy heart and mind. Some examples of motivational videos which you can watch are:
- “Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are” by Amy Cuddy – link
- “The Happy Secret to Better Works” by Shawn Achor – link
- “The Fringe Benefits of Failure” by J.K.Rowling – link
- “404, The Story Of A Page Not Found” by Renny Gleeson – link
#4 Spend and Dedicate special Time to your Parents
In this busy world where we don’t have time for ourselves, this resolution looks impossible. But let me tell you it’s all about setting priorities and managing your time.
Dedicate some time to your parents from your busy schedule. Your precious time and company are all they need after all. Sit, listen, and eat with your parents. You may plan out a vacation or just talk about your life with them.
And if you are not able to visit them right now, send them a message, wish them a happy new year anyway, and tell them that you want to be with them.
#5 Stay close to Mother Nature
Just living is not enough… one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower.― Hans Christian Anderson
Nature makes you feel lively and fresh. In your leisure time, you may go outside and sit in your backyard or nearby park. You can try to stay away from your laptop or mobile, and cherish and observe the birds, plants, sunshine, sky, & temperature.
You can be sensitive and contribute to Mother Nature by:
- Growing your own vegetables
- Recycling waste
- Ensuring no wastage of water
- Saving energy
- Saying NO to polythene or
- Doing tree Plantation
For those of you who love to spend some time with Nature, Wildlife, and Birds, Sanctuaries are a perfect destination for you. You may visit these sites and enjoy your ideal date with nature.
#6 Volunteer and Give Back to Society
Volunteering is the top New Year Resolution which is on everybody’s list nowadays. Try to realize a meaningful purpose and the essence of living by Volunteering.
We see many advertisements online, get phone calls, and have NGO volunteers visiting our offices and homes asking for donations. The immediate concern we have is to know if our hard-earned money will be used for the right purposes or not.
Therefore, I would suggest you satisfy your urge of helping others by being personally involved in the process. Trust me, it will change your outlook and provide you with a platform to give back to society.
Therefore, devote some of your valuable time and energy to helping the destitute. In this process, you will learn new skills and interact with a lot of new people.
It will not only give you immense satisfaction but will also boost your morale and confidence. There are many volunteering options available today. Just Google it.
#7 Switch off your Mobile and Spend Quality Time with Family
It is difficult to achieve this New Year Resolution but it is not impossible. We find mobiles to be the biggest distraction in our lives. It makes it more difficult to part ways with the mobile phone because it serves so many vital functions.
But it’s a good practice to switch off your mobile phones or keep them in silent mode while spending time with family and friends. Sharing quality time with people who matter to you will make the bond stronger and unique.
#8 Read and Write
Make Reading and Writing your favorite New Year Resolution in 2022. Reading is very important to become a creative thinker.
It can be used to improve your vocabulary, learn new things, broaden your mind, and even help you understand the world.
Start by finding something that interests you.
Reading helps you to focus on a particular thing thus increasing your concentration and acting as a stress buster. Books you must read in 2022, if not already read.
- The Windfall by Diksha Basu
- Men without Women by Haruki Murakami
- The Poetry of Purpose: A Portrait of Women Leaders of India by Dr. Shashi Gogate and Mick Minard
- Reaching for the Sky: Empowering Girls Through Education by Urvashi Sahni
Writing is a form of expression. You can write about your life. The ups and downs and the challenges faced while pursuing a career or relationship or any positive or negative experience. You can write about anything which fascinates you and comes to your mind.
#9 Create your Blog
Blogging is a great way to express yourself and enhance your writing skills. It is one of the most popular forms of communicating and sharing knowledge and information. For creating your blog you have to follow some simple steps:
- Choose your Blogging Platform: First, you have to decide which blogging platform you want to use, e.g. WordPress, Tumbler, Blogger, Typepad, Medium, etc. Out of all these Word Press is the most preferred as it is easy to use and has a lot of themes.
- What is a Domain: Domain is the URL of your website, e.g., terratale.com
- What is Hosting? Hosting is nothing but a service that saves all the information and manages all the content, images, etc. It makes the blog visible to everyone.
- Sign up with the Web Host: I would recommend using Bluehost as it has lots of offers and initially you can start with the cheapest plan. Sometimes they may provide a free domain name in the first year.
- Choosing a Domain Name: It’s imperative to pick a name for your blog which is appealing, catchy, and short. The domain name is your identity.
- Complete the Registration: This has your account information, contact information, and your package information. You just need to fill out the form and complete your registration.
- Install Word Press with one click Installation: Now you can install Word Press and log in to your new blog. Then you can customize your blog theme either for free or purchase themes at ElegantThemes.
- Here you can learn more about how to start a blog.
#10 Start Gardening as a Hobby
Gardening will be unique and most interesting New Year’s Resolution in 2022. If you want to utilize your time and space gardening is a perfect option. You may start gardening as a hobby or anything else that you always wanted to try.
Although it looks like a simple process to grow plants, gardening helps you bring back the elements of discipline, responsibility, and care.
You can’t just grow anything, therefore, this will also add to your knowledge about plants and all the related aspects of the weather, seeds, compost, watering, and sunlight, and so on. For more details on gardening, you may check out our article.
You may also make new friends with a variety of flower plants these winters.
#11 Keep Learning and Join Online Courses
A New Year Resolution that everyone should give a try. Learning should be a continuous and ongoing process. Learning has no boundaries, and it has nothing to do with one’s age.
There are a lot of opportunities available on the Internet these days which our parents never imagined when they were young.
You can learn new Languages or do a Social Sciences Course or learn about Computer Science / Data Science or learn the nitty-gritty of Business. You may check Coursera for details.
How to Stick to Your New Year Resolutions?
There are a million new resolution ideas. But the most important question of all is how to keep up with your resolutions.
- Make a list of all your resolutions and make list all the things you are willing to give up in order to achieve your goals. Put your list somewhere you will see it every day.
- Set a daily schedule for yourself to accomplish your goals (very important).
- Set small and achievable goals first. This will help you stay motivated throughout the year. Start small and work your way up.
- Don’t try to start too many goals at once. Trying to do everything at once might leave you nowhere.
- Have fun with your resolutions!
- If you fail, don’t beat yourself up – pick yourself up every time you find yourself slipping.
- Use the buddy system – call someone every week to check in on your progress and remind you to stay on track.
- Don’t forget to reward yourself for your success. (I love my treats.)
Like this article? Tell us about your New Year Resolution? Share your New Year’s Resolution Idea in the comment section below.