Why it is important to focus on Women Health? Women play dynamic roles at the workplace and at home which demands strength, mental peace, and good health. Now with changing times, women are becoming more cautious, alert and aware about their health because they know that’s the base for a harmonious family.
There is a lot of adulteration in the food we eat and the air we breathe. Many other factors like lifestyle, routine, depression, stress are responsible for major health issues. However, regular health checkup should be on one’s priority list once you cross 30.
Women Health: Do You Know These 6 High-Risk Diseases
Women Health is of prime importance. Let us discuss some of the Illness conditions and disorders women should be aware of:
#1. Cervical Cancer
The lower part of the uterus is known as Cervix, which connects the vagina. When the cells of the cervix grow unusually and enter other organs of the body then it is said that the female is having Cervical Cancer.
However, this is a very slow growing cancer. Cervical Cancer is usually diagnosed in the last stage because its early symptoms are not known.
Things to know about Cervical Cancer
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) a sexually transmitted infection and most of the common cause of Cervical Cancer. There are more than 80 types of HPV but not all high-risk. High-risk HPV types are HPV-16 AND HPV-18.
- The early stage shows no signs and symptoms. However, at the advanced stage, one may experience abnormal bleeding after menopause, bleeding after intercourse, pain during urination
- A vaccination is available for women and girls. One can reduce the risk of cervical cancer by getting vaccinated.
#2. Breast Cancer
When cancer develops in breast cells it is known as Breast Cancer. It is either in the lobules (glands that produce milk) or the duct (the pathway that brings milk to the nipple) of the breast.
Things you should know about Breast Cancer
- Any change which has advanced recently like the thickening of tissue or a breast lump.
- Breast size and color changes and the development of an inverted nipple.
- If in doubt, go ahead with the Mammogram Test. In this test, the surface of the breast is examined. If any anomalous spot or tumor is seen on the Mammogram its advisable to do other tests like Breast Biopsy or MRI.
- Breast Ultrasound is also helpful as it helps to differentiate between solid mass or tumor, and a cyst which may not be harmful.
In simple words, arthritis refers to joint pain or disease. People of all age group and sex can have arthritis. It is more common in women and occurs as they grow older. Arthritis can cause severe joint changes and also make it difficult to perform daily activities like walking, exercising climbing stairs.
A few things about Arthritis (Joint Pain)
- Exercise and Maintain Weight. You can read more about Weight Loss Tips here.
- Therapies can be helpful for some types of arthritis. Therefore, take out time for exercise and walking.
- Different types of tests can deduct issues within the joint. X-Rays, MRI, Ultrasound, CT(Computerized tomography) can help to produce clear images of bone injury, cartilage, and ligaments. You can read more about Arthritis here.
Fibroids are tumors which may occur in the uterus. Uterine Fibroids are noncancerous and in most of the cases doesn’t develop into one. Fibroids vary in sizes (size of a seed or robust as much as it may enlarge the uterus.) Many women who do not have any pain or symptoms may not even know that they have fibroids until they get their examination done.
Learn Things about Fibroids
- Many women may have single or multi fibroids. The common symptoms include heavy menstrual bleeding which may last a week, frequent urination, pelvic pain, constipation.
- Generally, they don’t cause complications. However, they may cause problems in pregnancy if it is (Submucosal fibroids) and also result in infertility.
- Take out time for exercise and walking. You may refer our article on Benefits of Walking for more details.
#5. PCOD: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
PCOD means a state of hormonal unbalance where multiple cysts accumulate in the ovaries. In PCOD, the women experience uneven menstrual cycle and also the female body produces more of the male hormones called Androgens.
Things To Know about PCOD
- If you have abnormal hair growth, absent or irregular menstrual cycle or not able to conceive then do visit the Gynae and get yourself examined.
- Insulin Resistance, Obesity, Hypertension are few other reasons for PCOD
- If avoided and not monitored PCOD may lead to Uterine Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Diabetes and Heart-related problems.
- Exercise and maintain a healthy lifestyle to control the blood sugar level.
The Osteoporosis means ‘porous bones’. The bones become weak which may result in fractures in the spinal, hip or wrist. The Osteoporosis may occur when the new bone is not created with the loss of old bones. When we are young the bones are made faster as compared to as we grow old.
Porous Bones (Osteoporosis) – 5 Things You Must Know
- People who have too less or too more of the hormones generally have Osteoporosis. For example reduction in estrogen levels in women at the time of menopause is a factor for developing osteoporosis. Also like thyroid hormones can cause too much bone loss.
- Vitamin D can prevent Osteoporosis up to some extent. Regular sun exposure, fortified foods, and vitamin D supplements may help
- Calcium is a must for bones. Dairy products like milk, cheese, curd are a good source of Calcium. Also green leafy vegetables, broccoli, breakfast cereals to name a few.
- A lot of people recommend women Horlicks for healthy bones. You can read more about this here
- Some routine changes like proper diet, exercise, reducing smoking and drinking can minimize the risk of Osteoporosis.
Women Health is wealth. But with the busy and hectic schedules, women often tend to neglect their health. The biggest and most important life partner of a human being is its body. But this is realized often very late when we are struggling with a disease or an illness.
So, it’s never too late to start. Be active, exercise and eat what is good for your health, not your tongue.
More to read –